I'd describe this blog as a place for the purposeful ramblings of Ruth and others. You get to read my thoughts. Will you please share yours, too?

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Quiero Bailar

I am enthusiastically anticipating going salsa dancing tonight with Antoinette, Dayle, and Natalie. (It is a wonderful thing that Mi Luna opened up in The Woodlands because now people are more willing to go dancing since they don't have to drive downtown.) I can't wait to get a bit dressed up, have a couple tasty beverages, and dance.

Here's the thing--I'm actually going with the goal to dance. I like salsa dancing and I want to get better at it. The only way to do that is to dance more. I'm not going there with the goal of been seen by the men that line the perimeter of the dance floor, just hoping that one of them will ask for my number. No. I will be honest, though. I do want to look good while I'm there. It's good to be noticed because salsa dancing requires a partner. Since it is my goal to dance, I'll do my part to be seen as a desirable dancing partner so my chance of being asked increases.

I feel comfortable salsa or meringue dancing with strangers because there are steps to follow, parameters that keep it controlled. In the past, some of the most fun I've had dancing was because I said yes to a stranger and he turned out to be a terrific leader, which made me feel like an incredible dancer. That's fun. That's not always the case, though.

Sometimes guys (who aren't very good dancers) ask me to dance with the expectation that I should be the one to make it interesting. They get irritated when I'm not throwing in all kinds of fancy moves. Sorry, buddy, not my job. I'm going to stick to the basic steps unless you, as the leader, choose to direct me differently. Yes, I get it that not every guy knows how to lead well. But, honestly, that doesn't matter. Even if he doesn't really know what he's doing, but leads with confidence and is out there to have fun, or asks for some direction and then puts it into practice, that can be just as fun as dancing with a really great leader who knows exactly how to place you where you need to be.

Dancing is fun when it can simply be two people doing their best to have fun, follow the steps, and dance to the music, not some suggestive means used to try and hit on someone. I wish I could announce to all those gentlemen that I'm there because I actually want to dance! Nada mas. I hope the four of us ladies have a good time tonight. I think we will.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Well, dancing fell through. Another time...

July 08, 2005 5:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer! I was hoping you'd have a good tale to tell.

July 12, 2005 1:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home