I'd describe this blog as a place for the purposeful ramblings of Ruth and others. You get to read my thoughts. Will you please share yours, too?

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thomas a Kempis on "Men"

OK, OK, I know that he wrote this with the understanding that "man" means "humankind" but it does give the passage an interesting slant if you read it as if he is solely referring to the male species.

From The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis:
Men are fickle, remember, and change quite quickly, and even more quickly do they disappoint you;
Ha! He continues:
but Christ abides forever and stands firmly beside you unto the end. We ought not place great trust in men; they are, after all, mortal and all too frail--though at times we do find them helpful and dear to us. Nor should we be overly disturbed if they sometimes disagree with us or even act against us. Today our friends, tomorrow our enemies; and vice versa. Men are as changeable as the wind!
What do you think about that? I'm hoping for comments from both men and women.

6 Comments:

Blogger So I Go said...

as a member of the male species, i must agree with the fickle statement, and yes, i usually change pretty quickly (sometimes with the wind)..but that's more to keep peace. :-)

i hope i'm not known for dissapointing others or for a quick switch from friend to enemy.

all in all.. interesting post. good thing Christ wasn't the typical male, huh?

July 29, 2005 10:11 AM

 
Blogger Ruth said...

That's definitely true that Jesus wasn't the typical male!
For the record, I do want to say that I agree with the part which states, "at times we do find them helpful and dear to us."

July 29, 2005 2:18 PM

 
Anonymous trav said...

well...i will hold my tongue.

:)
:)

August 02, 2005 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Ruth said...

No, Travis, please don't keep quiet. I bet you have something interesting to say about this... Let's hear it. (and if you're about to say that all of the statements could be true about women, too, you're absolutely right.)

August 05, 2005 8:29 PM

 
Anonymous tz said...

yeah, ruth. probably not that interesting of stuff. I was just in a frustrated mood about females, and was having a moment where I was just negative toward the whole gender in particular....and then I read this post and I was just thinking "yeah, right". Girls suck! :p

that's all.

August 08, 2005 11:17 AM

 
Anonymous provoked said...

That made me laugh. I am rather wishy washy, moody, and fickle.

My wife is actually quite different. She's a planner, a list maker, and you general anal retentive female (her words more than mine).

August 11, 2005 1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home