I'd describe this blog as a place for the purposeful ramblings of Ruth and others. You get to read my thoughts. Will you please share yours, too?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Agua de Vida

Today I witnessed so many ways that water brought new life--to dead things and to living things, making them even more alive.

I went running in the rain this afternoon, which was glorious. The cool air and the wet drops on my skin (that, for once, weren't sweat!) made the jog even more refreshing and invigorating than usual. In that sense, the water enlivened me and helped me experience life more fully.

On that run, I observed two dead things were brought to life by the water.
-The clippings of a freshly mowed lawn, grass that had been alive but was now dead, smelled stronger and sweeter after being soaked in the rain than I've ever smelled grass when the roots have been in the ground.
-The wet scent from a fence made of cedar planks, timber that had once been trees but was now in the form of flat lifeless boards, was so inviting that I slowed down to suck in the fresh smell a little bit more.

Later that afternoon I noticed another dead thing that was given a new kind of life because of the rain. A dragonfly's wings had been soaked by the water and he was laying on his back by the pool at the Seay's house. Because it was dead, I was able to pick it up and investigate something that I would not normally have be able to appreciate that fully had it been alive. There were so many intricacies I could hardly believe it! Looking at that little creation gave me a glimpse of how God's imagination uniquely knits together living things. After staring into its eyes for a while and admiring the lace of its wings, I put it back. When we were all swimming later, I noticed that a group of ants had also found the dragonfly, but they weren't as gentle with him as I had been... (Sing it with me, friends who know the Lion King song. It's the circle of life...)

Water also gave new life to the Seay children. I was with Carrie this afternoon while she watched Hanna, Trinity, and Solomon. Hanna and Trinity had been quite outgoing from the first moment we were hanging out and that enthusiasm continued in the water. I love the way kids play with such abundant excitement! Solomon was a bit timid, though. He was slow to warm up to us, a bit fearful. Something in that boy changed throughout the course of time we spent in the pool, though. The water brought him to life, changed him from a shy boy into a courageous hero.

Water has the power to change things. It even brings a new kind of life to things that are dead. No wonder baptism has such significance in our understanding of transformation and new life in Christ. Have you been made alive by the living water He offers?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Blog Redesign That Rocks
A while back, I wrote about a study that suggested the design of blogs was an inhibitor to usability, particularly among those who are less-than-familiar with the various unique elements of a blog.

Hello,

you got a quite interesting blog here. I really enjoyed reading here and think I'm
going to bookmark it.

My Page is a car insurance fort worth related
site. Check it out.

August 10, 2005 12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I'm on the web Wedding Photos UK. It pretty much covers Wedding Photos UK related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

August 10, 2005 12:31 PM

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Hmmm, a new brand of internet advertizing? With the invention of pop-up blockers, ads now go directly to bloggers' comments sections? Interesting, very interesting...

August 10, 2005 1:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog too, but not because i am selling anything.
Bummer. It's a sad day when stuff like this happens. Maybe disallowing anony. comments would be the answer, but at the expense of those of us who prefer to remain anonymous or who just can't tolerate registering for something else.

August 11, 2005 11:45 AM

 
Blogger Ruth said...

Yeah, I'm not going to get rid of the anonymous commenting ability that blogger allows. I want anyone to have the freedom to leave comments, even if they are adveritizers...
Thanks for chiming in Anonymous #3. I hope you will continue to do so.

August 11, 2005 4:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i noticed on someone else's blog that they were able to delete the AD comments. If it becomes a problem you might be able to do that too.

August 17, 2005 12:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home