I'd describe this blog as a place for the purposeful ramblings of Ruth and others. You get to read my thoughts. Will you please share yours, too?

Sunday, August 14, 2005

En Vino Veritas

That's Latin for "in wine the truth." How true.

When our inhibitions are down, for some reason we are less apt to keep the facade going. We stop pretending to be something we're not for the sake of appearances. We recognize that it's ridiculous to try and impress people who already like us, and by being real we'll actually be received much better. Rather than working to be accepted, we know that who we are is enough. We can take our hand off the closet door briefly enough to let some of the junk that we're hiding spill out. How amazing it is when it feels safe to do that without worry of shame or condemnation.

Am I suggesting that people go out and get drunk so they can be honest with people? Of course not. What I would love to see is more freedom to naturally be vulnerable like that with more regularity.
I know I need it.
Do you?
Or are you just going to pass because you already have it all together?
Hm, I'm not buying it.

I like it that I have people in my life who call me out on things with immensely loving motives. I am very grateful for you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Another thought to consider. Are there also people who abuse alcohol as a means to escape, hide, and avoid the truth? Becoming another person entirely as they are transformed by its effects?

August 18, 2005 10:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home