I'd describe this blog as a place for the purposeful ramblings of Ruth and others. You get to read my thoughts. Will you please share yours, too?

Saturday, August 06, 2005

I'm Not Superwoman

A parent of one of the students at my church said to me the other day, "Ruth, you need to ask for help more. You have a lot to do and you can't be so independent to think you can do it all on your own. If you were able to do it all, you'd be superwoman and then we'd all applaud you and be in awe, wondering how it's possible. But, you can't. And, when you let things slip because you didn't ask for help it makes people start to second-guess you. It takes a whole lot more "atta-boy"s to make up for a few "aw, shit"s. Let people help you."

I need to improve my ability to manage people and tasks. I need to be better at breaking down a whole and getting others to share in the parts. These things are incredibly difficult for me, but I know that I have to learn these skills if I'm going to be able to carry on in ministry. It doesn't matter that they don't come naturally to me, I have to learn them. Somehow. In moments like this, I really get frustrated with myself, recognizing and being confronted with the areas where I know I'm weak. I hate being weak.

I just got back from Mexico, where I am known as "la mezcladora" (the mixer) for my skills in mixing and shoveling heavy cement--one of my favorite activities. I lifted 110 lb. bags of concrete mix that guys in the group couldn't lift. When we were raising and pouring the buckets of cement onto the roof, I pretty much stayed on par with the guys. I love proving that I'm not a frail little flower of a girl that has to depend on someone else for power or strength. (Maybe it's a way of compensating for the fact that I know I have very obvious weaknesses in other areas of my life. By proving I'm physically strong maybe it'll make up for the organizational weaknesses that are so glaringly evident in my eyes.) The Mexican construction foreman told me, "Eres muy fuerte." (you are very strong). I hate being weak.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Corinthians 12:10

OK, OK, I get the message.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth, Sounds like you are still "Beef jerky!!" You have been taking good care of yourself, and still enjoy a challenge. I wish I could have been on your trip. I miss those construction projects, and the challenges you meet while on a mission trip.
I agree that you probably need to get others involved in helping you with preparation, and organization, if that has been as a problem. There is nothing more frustrating than something failing because it was too much for one person. Remember, God has given everyone different gifts. Let others use their gifts, all for God's glory. They will be honored if you trust them to help, and it will take the load off you. Remenber, not only does everyone need a Darl, but every youth minister needs a Nancy, or several, if you are very fortunate. Karen

August 07, 2005 11:09 AM

 
Blogger Ruth said...

ha, ha. "Beef jerky." Yep, I'm still brown and tough, just like I was on that canoe trip we took together in the Boundary Waters! Thanks for your encouragement, Karen. Every youth minister needs some Karens, too, you know. I know I wish I had you here. :)

August 07, 2005 3:05 PM

 
Blogger APN said...

Ooooo....

Faulkner reference....

Everyone does need a Darl though, on so many levels. People who are there to do whatever's necessary, just so the job gets done.

August 08, 2005 1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home